Pat has a strong background in corporate and business law as well as extensive health law and administrative experience.
Pat's background in corporate and business law includes:
• Complex business transactions involving for-profit and non-profit entities
• Financing transactions including tax exempt and commercial lending arrangements
• Real estate transactions including leases, sales, purchases, and construction agreements
• Governance matters concerning formation of business entities, shareholder agreements, director responsibilities, codes of conduct, conflicts of interest policies, and compliance plans
• Intellectual property matters concerning licensing agreements, trademark registrations, material transfer agreements, collaborative research and development agreements, and nondisclosure agreements
• Regulatory compliance involving the False Claims Act, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, fraud and abuse, import and export regulations, and information privacy and security
• General counsel matters including operational policies and procedures and personal service and employment agreements
Before law school, Pat served as an assistant administrator at The Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh (now UPMC Mercy). Following graduation from law school in 1984, she joined Buchanan Ingersoll Professional Corporation where she provided legal advice to business and nonprofit clients on a wide range of corporate, commercial, finance, and regulatory matters and was promoted to shareholder.
In 1995, Pat was named the first in-house counsel for Magee-Women’s Hospital and its related entities and continued in that role after Magee's merger with UPMC in 1999. In 2004, she was named Vice President of Professional Services for Magee-Women’s Hospital of UPMC and took on additional administrative responsibility for medical staff affairs, risk management, compliance, and ethics. Pat also served as counsel for the Magee-Women’s Research Institute and Foundation from its founding 1990 and its evolution as an independent research organization in 1999.
Duquesne University School of Law (J.D., 1984, magna cum laude)
• University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Health Law Advisory Board Member, Health Care Law Practicum Instructor, Guest Lecturer for Health Law Ethics (1996–2006)
• Duquesne University School of Law, Law School Mentorship Program Member, Moot Court Judge, Health Law Instructor, Guest Lecturer (1990–1996)
• Carlow College, Instructor in Business Law for Undergraduate Programs (2009-2010)
Member of Duquesne University Law Review